Saturday, June 4, 2011

Behold! The Power of Color In The Library!

Thought everyone might like a little peek at the library work I've been doing the last few weeks.

I took some quick snapshots with my iPhone yesterday to give you some idea of what I'm trying to do with the space.  I found some vinyl wall clings to add some color to the various areas, and they've turned out to be a really good way to add some color and artwork without a huge amount of effort -- if I'd had to paint all of this on by hand, I'd still be working on the walls instead of shelving books by now.

I've tried to theme it a little bit so that the younger Pre-K  kids have visuals that they will love, but so that there is also something for older kids, too.

I used Sesame Street ones and a Pooh Bear one for the little kids storytime area.  The Big Bird, Elmo, and Abby Cadabby are absolutely adorable, and they look so realistic that Big Bird's feathers and Elmo's fur almost pop off the wall.


The other side of the room is done in a sort of forest motif -- I found the stickers for this side at Target, and they are adorable.  Here you can see some branches and birds sticking up from the face-out bookcases with early reader books on them.  And I put together a little corner area with benches that have book storage under them and some more forest decor with a floor lamp to make it a cozy reading spot.

I still have a couple more areas to decorate -- with Harry Potter decals and some from Dr. Seuss -- and a lot of book shelving and sorting to do, but I'm making progress.

As you can see, I'm having a lot of fun with this.  And I promise to get some better pictures at some point soon -- yesterday was the last day of school, and I'll take my good camera over and snap some shots of shelves and the rest of the space next week.



Hope everyone is having a good weekend!  The Peanut has her dance recital this evening, so we are about to rush out the door again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Christy! The kids are going to love their "new" library. Annette/Ziggy

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Thanks, Zig -- I am really happy with how things are looking thus far. Still a lot of work to do, but it's getting there bit by bit. :)