Monday, May 16, 2011

Just Call Me Library Lady

Starting this morning, you'll be able to find me in the school library at The Peanut's school.

With most of the repairs and painting having been done in several of the upstairs rooms, and the new windows installed at the school, they now move onto the next phase:  replacing some of the old flooring and permanently setting up the library and a couple of other specialty rooms.

For the library?  That's where I get started today.

Last year, through the generosity of Steptoe and Johnson, we were able to secure some fantastic library shelves that the firm had purchased for their internal library back in the mid-90s.  Since they moved to their newly built offices where custom shelves were built for their library space, they couldn't use their "old" shelves, despite the fact that they look brand new, because they just would not fit in their space.

So, yay for us because we have some gorgeous, sturdy, incredibly functional library shelves that we never would have been able to afford on the school's shoestring budget.  And since I was the one who was there day in and day out during the move taking them down, I'm the one who gets to put them back up again.

The fun part?  I also get to be the one that decorates the library space.


And boy do I have some fun plans for that...just wait until you see.  I promise to take pictures as things move forward, because I have been having a serious blast planning all of this.

But for now?  I need to get my rear end in gear, in and out of the shower and over to school.  Time's a'wasting...

(Photo of gorgeous illustration from ABC Book of Children's Rhymes and Verse; Illustrators: Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone via one2c900d.)

2 comments:

Jane dV said...

You've already made my day by posting this! Am so jealous of what you'll be doing and will eagerly await pics etc. They're so lucky to have you to do this. I know you'll make the space come alive. What a great way to share your love of reading!

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Home again, Jane -- I'm exhausted but having a lot of fun. Just wait until I start getting decorations up. Today was pretty much all about putting shelves together, though -- got three single-sided shelves together and some other rearranged that were in the room already.

More of that tomorrow and probably Wednesday as well. And then? I can start making the room come to life with some fun decorations. I've already been scrounging around the house for a few extra tidbits, and have ordered some colorful wall decals that will really liven up the space nicely for the kids. :)