Thursday, February 17, 2011

Going Gray(cefully): Stage Two




















Thought it was about time for an update on how the gray hair and I are getting along.

As you can see above, I had a little fun with hot curlers this morning.  Mr. ReddHedd and I had made a date for lunch out today, and I thought it would be fun to go curly.  I hadn't used hot curlers in years -- but I think it turned out rather well for a girl who is awfully rusty at this sort of thing.

I may have to use the hot curlers more often.  I feel so retro-80s.

In any case, you can see the gray streaked through, and coming in quite aggressively at the roots.  In the sunlight, it looks like really bright highlights, streaked through especially fiercely at the front, when in reality it's just my own hair and the champagne-whiteness of the gray patch in the very front.  Luckily, I really like it.


If you can't tell from the picture above, you can certainly see it a little more clearly here:




















It's a bit salt and pepper (or, more accurately, salt and ginger given how red my hair still is in places), but I really like it.

The last hair appointment, we decided not to do the soap cap to pull the rest of any remaining color out because my hair had a very dry and fragile reaction to the highlights.  My hair tends to be really dry anyway, and pulling out the color made it very dry indeed.  So, instead, I'm just letting it grow as it is, and deep conditioning a couple of times a week as well as using a nice leave-in conditioner from Aveda that makes it feel much happier and silkier.

So far, so good.

Previous posts about going gray(cefully) can be found here, here and here.  Pictures are from my iMAC's Photobooth feature -- one of these days I'll have Mr. ReddHedd get a couple of good shots with my Canon EOS so you can get a true feel for the color...

6 comments:

barbara said...

Aggressive roots are good! You're looking mahvelous, dahling.

Molly said...

I like it, Christy. I think it looks much softer and more natural than that red.

musicsleuth said...

Looks good!

Unknown said...

I'm trying to find courage to go naturally gray--I'm confident that the condition of my hair would improve after years of coloring. What I can't abide is being treated differently because I look "old".

Lindy said...

I think it's lovely. See? That wasn't so bad, was it? (This from someone who has never colored...no patience).

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Thanks everyone -- I'm pretty happy with it, too. Now, if I can just figure out why it is so dry. But that may be as much just treating it well for a few months and letting the damaged parts grow out and get snipped off until I have nothing but untreated hair and then we'll see how it really is, right?