Sunday, December 5, 2010

Cooking Up A Batch Of Primordial Soup



As I was pulling yesterday's Julia Child YouTube, I stumbled across a real gem: Julia discussing "primordial soup" and the origins of life for the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum.  This apparently aired from 1976 until the gallery closed.

Wow, is this a hoot. I had to share it.

Thought I'd share a few links of recent finds and intriguing bits:

-- Love the landscaping on this blog.  I want to move into several of these photos, don't you?

-- Ever wonder about the intersection of food, politics, and rise in obesity?  Marion Nestle has some fascinating insights on this.

-- Speaking of Marion reminds me of one of my favorite cookbooks, written by a friend of hers, Martha Rose Shulman.  If you love good cuisine, and want to eat more healthfully, might I suggest Mediterranean Light: Delicious Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine?

--Say it with me:  "pimp style" is decidedly not hawt.

-- Weight Watchers has apparently upended their points system diet plan.  There is going to be some serious confusion and crabbiness among the masses.  (And Weight Watchers is going to make a mint selling all new books, which is probably part of the point, no pun intended.)  If it leads people to choose real food over processed, that's probably a good thing overall, right?


-- And for your not healthy cuisine munching pleasure?  This one's for Toni:  the polvorones recipe we used yesterday to make cookies with sprinkles on them.  I used to make them like Mexican wedding cake cookies -- with ground nuts in the dough and powdered sugar outside.  But The Peanut doesn't like nuts, so I searched around to find a recipe without them.  This turned out well -- we added a little cinnamon to the dough, too.


So what's catching your eye today?  Do tell...

No comments: