Saturday, November 27, 2010

Perspective

Sometimes, a shift in perspectives can be a useful tool in sorting out what is right in front of you the whole time.

Take my writing issues of late:  I've been expecting perfection to come spewing out of my fingers when I sit down to write, and perfection in the environment around me to get into writing mode.

Honestly, how often do I think that is ever going to happen?  Especially with a 7 year old and two needy dogs in the house?

And so, beginning today, my perspective is going to shift and the writing will be what gets squeezed out when it can be, where I can find the time, and whenever possible.  If I'm getting some done, that's better than nothing, and I can rely on a good edit as I go along to get it into the shape I want before it heads out the door.

It is never going to be perfect.  But it can still be good, right? 


No more excuses.  I'm going to take a page from the Nike commercial and "just do it."

And perfectionism be damned.  So there.

I've also decided that, if nothing else, I can haul my rear end up to the local shopping mall and walk some laps even in inclement, bitterly cold weather.  So there is no excuse for not getting some exercise into my day even now that cooler temperatures and spitting snow have arrived.

It isn't how perfectly I do something every single day.  It's that I try to do something consistently as much as possible.  If I'm doing it 80 percent of the time, even if I'm not doing it perfectly, it's still better than not doing it at all.  Right?

What's going on in your life that could benefit from a change in perspective?  Do tell...

PS -- You may notice that I've added an Amazon wish list to my sidebar.  Having had a few questions about things I like or what I might want as a gift from friends and family (and a couple of readers, which I was not expecting), I thought this might be an easy alternative to having to ask me.  Apparently, I'm tough to buy for -- who knew? 

(Love the perspective on this photo by Robert Thomson.)

No comments: