Sunday, July 29, 2007

Quick Snack/Breakfast: Mock Cinnabon

The one thing that gets old very quickly trying to do the South Beach diet plan is eggs, eggs and more eggs for breakfast. A week into the plan, and I'm already all egged out and in need of some variety.

I remember that from the last time we were trying this diet plan -- but I also found a quickie breakfast/snack that works really well for me. So much so, that I have been keeping a container of it mixed up in the fridge for a quick grab for snacks during the day.

Mock Cinnabon (Cottage Cheese with Cinnamon & Toasted Pecans)

1/2 c. low fat cottage cheese
1/4 c. fat free plain yogurt
2 pkgs. Splenda (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Cinnamon, to taste (I used between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp.)
7 pecan halves, toasted (I broke mine into smaller pieces, and sprinkled them throughout the dish. Be sure to toast them for better flavor.)

Mix cottage cheese, yogurt & Splenda with the vanilla. Sprinkle with cinnamon on top (I mixed some cinnamon into the cottage cheese with the Splenda and dusted the rest on top.) Place the pecans on top of this. Add more cinnamon, if desired. This is better after it has chilled so the cinnamon can blend into the flavor a little better. I now keep this mixed up in my fridge so that I can dip out 1/2 cup for a snack any time, with or without the pecans. So yummy!

It doesn't work for my husband -- he hates the texture of cottage cheese -- but it's perfect for me. Which just goes to show you that you have to adapt things to your taste and needs in order to make your own plan work for you.

(Old cottage cheese poster shot via carbonated.)

2 comments:

Susan McIntosh Lewis said...

Hey, we are gonna have some fun with your new blog. I have all kinds of ideas and of course you have many more. I can learn from you about recipes, menus, stress reduction, well...ok pretty much everything. I can serve as a bad example if you like :)

Susan McIntosh Lewis said...

The not taking time for self care cuts a swath across many areas of a busy mom's life. I have concluded that the whole family needs to support a mom's time to take care of herself. We no longer have big families with lots of sisters and aunts and cousins who live near each other and who all help each other, perhaps we can reconstruct that kind of support in a different way.

Am currently taking a look at the dilapidated state of my wardrobe, well, except shoes of course :) and conclude there is a fair amount of neglect there. I have watched your various comments about how you take care of your own clothes, it seems much less high anxiety. You need clothes for kos, into the car they go to the cleaners. I make everything so complicated, perfect being the enemy of the good, and end up with a suboptimal solution. So following your good example, while unpacking from Calif I put the dry clean stuff on the passenger seat of my car, to go right to the cleaners as soon I go into town. So thanks for being a good example.