Thursday, January 9, 2014

Shifting Perspectives






















Choosing a healthier path is a challenge in a society in which pre-packaged and prepared crapola is the norm at the grocery store, the restaurant and beyond in far too many places.  But we are trying to make the changes nonetheless, not just for today, but for all the days ahead as well.

The produce aisle and the frozen veggies area have become my best friends.

The thing is, when I eat badly, I feel worse not just in the moment, but also most of the next day.  When I eat healthfully, the obverse is true in a big way -- eat well, feel better...and quickly.

It's funny how just a little tweak can make such a huge difference in your day to day, but it does.

My goal is to increase the amount of produce we eat on a day to day basis, so that we are getting more than five servings a day of veggies and at least 2 of fruit.  We all would benefit from a diet richer in antioxidants, fiber and vitamins, for certain, but it also has a lot more urgency for me after last year's bout with breast cancer.

Doing everything I can to prevent a recurrence is at the top of my "to do" list at the moment.

This morning started with a fruit-filled smoothie made in our Vitamix.


For years, I resisted getting one because of the steep price tag, making do with one cheap blender after another, burning out the motors trying to make healthy smoothies. Until finally I started calculating how much we were spending having to buy another new blender that wouldn't make the smoothies the way I like them...and we realized that we just needed to pony up and buy the Vitamix.

Now, instead of having to nurse the blender along, I can throw whole fruits and veggies in, rev the motor up, and have a healthy, fiber-filled shake to start my day.  Love it.

The problem lately has been getting my rear end up and in gear enough to make one.  The cold outside is making me seriously sluggish for some reason, but this morning I fought back and made a berry smoothie anyway.

Healthy breakfast smoothie:  Take that polar vortex!

For me, eating more veggies and fruits just makes me feel better.  It's a step in the right direction, anyway, especially if I can add in more regular exercise going forward.

This year, I am making my own health more of a priority.  It's going to be interesting to see how that changes things in the weeks ahead...

(Photo via Coby Bidwell.  Loved this bright, vivid green!)










No comments: