Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mythology Morning




Feeling pretty proud of myself this morning: woke up and put together a card matching game of mythological monsters from Greek myths, complete with illustrative pictures.  Have been working on lesson plans all week and trying to come up with fun ways to get my students excited about this mythology unit.

I also plan to put together a Jeopardy game using a cheapie shower curtain liner, some 3x5 cards and ziploc baggies.  But that may have to wait until after I have gotten my room ready for Open House next week.

Dusting, organizing and decorating my classroom have to take priority for the moment. 

It is the final sprint to the start of the school year.  It is going to be so great to see all the kids and get back into my normal routine after this summer of chemo.  I miss what used to be normal, and it is high time I reclaimed some of that equilibrium that I used to take for granted.

In the meantime, though, I'll be putting together some more ideas for teaching my 4th, 5th and 6th graders about mythology.  Thank you, Rick Riordan, for your brilliant Percy Jackson series.  

If I play my teaching cards right, I'm going to have a whole lot of kids reading it this year.  That would make me very happy indeed.


More on what I am using to put together my mythology unit for the library is here. If I can figure out how to upload the matching cards, I'll try to do so.

No comments: