Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Reflection Day



















Early in my own motherhood, I began to see my child and think about the possibilities that she had ahead of her for her life, and wonder why I had stopped thinking about my own growth and possibilities somewhere along the line. I try to take a "Reflection Day" periodically to make sure I don't forget to put my own dreams on the front burner, too, at least once in a while. This post helps to do just that.

Spend the day thinking about who you are and, more importantly, who you want to be.  I am going to do the same today.

Some questions you might think about, in no particular order, just off the top of my head:

If I could be anywhere in the world right now, and cost was no object, where would I be?

What would I be doing there today?

If I could pursue classes in any subject or activity, what would they be?  

What is holding me back from taking them right now?

Is this something I can learn on my own and, if so, what steps would I need to take to do so?


I have always wanted to visit _____________________, because _____________________.

What kinds of paintings draw my eye most?  How can I incorporate what is in that artwork into my daily life -- be it color, perspective, or subject matter?

If I could improve one thing inside my house, it would be ______________________.

Is this something you could start on right now?  If so, think about doing it.

The thing about myself that makes me most unhappy is ___________________________.

What can I do to change that, starting right now?

The thing that makes me happiest about myself is _________________________.

What can I do to enhance and celebrate that?  

That's just a start.  If you can think of other questions that are helpful or enlightening, please share them in the comments.  Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

(Photo via Shoot Film, Not Bullets.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother and I had a difficult relationship but she taught me how to be strong. One thing she taught me that I am grateful for is:
(Mine: She always thought I was a strong person and could do anything I wanted to ... it took a long time to believe I could be strong but now I hear her voice telling me I am and I'm grateful for the sound)