Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Quick, Cool Breakfast




















It is hot here lately.  Scorching hot.

The kind of hot that makes you want to crawl in the freezer for a coupla hours after the humidity sets in about 7:30 in the morning hawwwwwwwt.

So what's a girl to do for breakfast?

Something cool, that's what.

Lately, I've been having some yogurt (vanilla, key lime, whatever is handy in the fridge) mixed with some cottage cheese and sprinkled with cut up, assorted berries.  I top with a few chopped walnuts or pecans and...voila!  Instant refreshing breakfast!

It's a decent mix of protein and healthy carbs, antioxidants from the berries and some omega-3s when I use walnuts.  All in all, a fairly healthy way to start my day.

If I'm feeling adventurous, I sprinkle in a little ground flaxseed for extra fiber and things seem to move right along for the day, if you know what I mean.


Am about to make myself a bowl of this right now.  You should, too.  Between this and smoothies, it may be the breakfast of the summer.

Although I also like some cottage cheese with sliced, vine-ripened tomatoes once they come in mid-summer.  There's something awesome about picking your tomato fresh from the yard and then slicing it up over a bowl of cottage cheese, sprinkling it with some sea salt, and enjoying...all within 5 minutes of picking the tomato in the first place.

Am trying to stick to healthy eating these days.  And this works well for me -- for lunch, for a snack, and for a dessert before bedtime and not just for breakfast.

What's your go to cool down breakfast in the heat of summer?

(Photo via lilychin.)

No comments: