Monday, March 26, 2012

Meatless Monday: Tomato Soup With Broiled Cheese Toasts

This evening's choice for our Meatless Monday meal is a comfort food classic:  Tomato Soup with some open-faced cheese toasts that I'm going to pop under the broiler.

Yummmm!

I'm cheating again this week because today has been an errand-filled disaster of a day.

Say it with me:  it's okay to use a canned soup if you use a healthy one that is still pretty good for your family.  I can hear that little perfectionist voice in my head as I type this:   It is, right?

No mom guilt, here, thank you very much.  I'm feeding my family healthy veggies today.  And I'm taking that as a victory.

So, the soup is from Amy's organic line:  it's a tomato bisque that smells wonderful as it is heating up.  I've added a little extra sea salt and some freshly ground Tellicherry black peppercorns -- just a pinch, because certain wee girlies don't like things that taste too spicy.  I figure we can all add more pepper to our own personal taste buds, but I can't take it out once it is in there for the wee one.


With that, I've taken some whole grain baguette that I've sliced somewhat thickly on the diagonal.  It's been toasted under the broiler and smells delicious.  On top, I'll be putting some cheese -- a mix of grated parmigiano reggiano, part-skim mozzarella, and provolone because that's what I have on hand today.  I'll pop the topped toast under the broiler to melt the cheese on the toasts just before I serve and....voila!...instant easy dinner that is healthy and on the table pretty quickly.

Two meatless Mondays down, and I'm liking this as a family meal concept, I have to say.

(Photo via Wally Hartshorn.  Love the color in this shot!)

No comments: