Thursday, November 10, 2011

Your Morning Sting



My brother-in-law is currently traumatized by the untimely passing of Heavy D, 80's rapper turned music exec, who passed away this week at the age of 44.

Heavy D and the Boyz weren't really my music cuppa tea in my formative years -- I was more of a pop, rock, punk and jazz kinda girl.  For me, it was The Police, Pat Benatar and Blondie in the 80s, along with a huge mishmash of other acts.

Mr. ReddHedd and I were talking this morning about which 70s and 80s music acts would cause the most trauma for both of us if something were to happen to them.  Morbid, I know, but it does make you stop to think about whose music and talent you most appreciate.

We decided that it may, indeed, be a toss-up for me between Clapton and Sting.

Apparently, I have a thing for men who appear cerebral and committed to their craft.  Go figure.

And so, I leave you with some morning Sting.  Early Police doing "Spirits in a Material World," interspersed with an interview with Stewart Copeland.  You can see ego, preening and conflict on full display, and the raw performing talent of those heady early days.  Love it.

Who would it be for you?  Who do you identify as the musician you most identify with from those formative years?  It's a fun exercise as you tra la down memory lane...even if it is, honestly, just a little on the morbid side of the aisle.

No comments: