Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Favorite Fantasy Books





















Who doesn't want a little fantasy in their life?

I mean, honestly, wouldn't it be just so fun to find out you'd really been a wizard all along?  Or that when you reach through to the back of your closet in that darkest of messy places, you don't find some long lost sweater but, instead, a magical world filled with talking animals and high tea with a friendly faun?

One of the best things for me about working at the library this year has been the reminder of how much fun children/young adult fantasy books can be.

I've been purposely reading several series that I hadn't yet read, and revisiting some of my old favorites that still hold up as classics for me.  And I've been enjoying every, single minute of it.

Escape from the day to day can be such a magical thing.  Especially when it involves reading about magical things, right?

So I thought it might be fun to list some favorites in the fantasy genre.  How about listing a few int he comments section?

Please take a moment to note, especially, those which are appropriate for kids ages 5 through 12 given that's who I'm teaching.

But I'd love to know what fantasy folks are reading regardless of library applicability.  Because although I've got a lot of books in my "to read" pile, I'm always searching for another good one to add.

Here are some of my recent finds and old faves, in no particular order:

-- J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. This still sucks me right into the story every single time.

-- Fablehaven (good for young readers)

-- Inkheart Trilogy Boxset (good for young readers and adults alike)

-- David Coe's The Lon Tobyn Chronicle

-- The Chronicles of Narnia (fabulous for young readers)

-- Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7)


-- Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series (still not done -- when oh when will the last book come out? more for adults)

-- George R. R. Martin's epic and wonderful Song of Ice and Fire series (definitely for adults)

-- Anne McCaffrey's The Dragonriders of Pern. I remember reading this as a kid and wishing so hard that I'd find out I was a dragonrider. Wonderful fantasy reading at the 10 year old age and beyond.

-- Percy Jackson

So what are your faves? I know I've left out a lot of good ones, but I'm only beginning my second cuppa coffee.  Help me out here -- what did I miss that you love?

Blogger disclosure:  Links in this post may include links to my Amazon account.  Purchases made through these links - or through the Amazon search engine in the right hand column on this blog - contribute a few pennies to me, which are then used for purchases for the school library.  Thanks so much for all of your support! 

(Photo via left-hand.  Gorgeous shot -- love the eyes especially!)

No comments: