Friday, September 30, 2011

Reading Is A Wonderland

We've reached the end of September, which has been a pirate theme at the school library -- and quite popular with the younger kids, I have to say.   Especially the stickers and bookmarks with pirate stuff on them that I managed to find -- that has been a big hit!

For October, I thought I'd go with a bit of whimsy.

So "Reading is a Wonderland!" it is.  I'll be going over today to take down the pirate flags and decor and bulletin board excitement, and to put up all sorts of Alice in Wonderland-inspired decor all over the place.  So when the kids come back from their long weekend (they have Monday and Tuesday off next week), they will walk into the library and right into the pages of Alice in Wonderland.

I think that's going to be very fun for everyone.  Including me.

Frankly, anything to get these kids reading and keep them interested in it is a good thing, I say.  And who doesn't love a bit of whimsy in their day?

Luckily I have saved a lot of the decorations that we used for The Peanut's Alice-inspired birthday party a couple of years ago.  I still have the net butterflies and the Mad Hatter hat and a few other assorted goodies, and so those will be brightening the library space by the end of today.

Will try to snap a few pictures for everyone once I'm finished, so you can see how things turned out.


Have a magical day, everybody!  I'll be working on my very own Wonderland...

(Photo of the dormouse in a teapot is my own picture from the table at The Peanut's 7th birthday party.  More pictures here of the event and its decor.  And a quick tutorial on how I made those adorable "eat me" cakes is here -- as you'll see, they also work great for a Valentine's Day party.)

No comments: