Saturday, July 23, 2011

Restoration, Life and Lupus

I am tired of always being tired.  Can I just say that out loud?

We just got back from what should have been a vacation, but instead just wore me out.  I had trouble adjusting tot he time change this trip, spent a lot of the time waking up at 5 am in Phoenix (which was 8 am back home in WV, so my body was convinced it was logical), and as a result am just exhausted right now.

Throw in what appears to be a cold caught on the airplane and the usual lupus issues from travel and I'm pretty much useless today.

So I'm going to take it easy.  Again.

And that is where the problem comes in:  I have been doing that a lot of late.  I don't whether it is the heat and humidity this summer, or my increasing age, or what, but life is kicking my ass and I would love to know what I can do to make it stop.

Better diet?  I'm actually eating better lately, including lots more fruits and veggies, thanks to beginning the new Weight Watchers Points Plus plan a few weeks ago.  But there's always room for improvement, right?  So I'll try to be conscious of that going forward and do better where I can.


Exercise?  Believe it or not, I walked on the treadmill at our hotel several days while I was out in Arizona.  I've been making an effort when I'm not so exhausted that I feel like falling into a coma on the sofa, and even sometimes when I do I just push past it and do things anyway.

Decent sleep?  I got 10 hours last night, thanks to it being my day to sleep in a bit this morning.  (And boy, did I take advantage of that, too!)  I could try a bit earlier for bedtime for a few nights and see if that helps, certainly, but I don't exactly fancy sleeping my life away.

I take a vitamin every day.  I eat healthy, fiber-rich foods.  I do things I'm supposed to do...and yet?  I'm still exhausted.

What gives?  Anyone have any suggestions, because I could use them.  Any great nutrient-rich, healthy smoothie recipes to share?  Any easy exercise tips for the joint-impaired that you love?  Anything at all?

Feeling grumpy and dumpy today, and could use a bit of cheer and advice.  So do share if you have some.

PS -- The above cardinal photo by Bob Dees looks just like the male cardinal that likes to grouch at me from the lip of our large feeder when it is empty.  Which is it this morning, so I'm expecting him any moment.  So funny.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

have you had your thyroid levels checked? a lot of your symptoms sound like they could maybe be from low thyroid.

Christy Hardin Smith said...

I have Suz, in the last year, and everything was normal. I think it is a side effect of lupus that I get so tired. And while I understand that, I refuse to accept that there is nothing that I can do to make it better. There has to be something, right?

I've never been a roll over and play dead kind of person, but trying to be zen about all of this is about to drive me nutso. There has to be something I can do...I just have to find it.

Suzanne said...

tis good that they are normal. it took a couple years of testing to figure out what mine was doing -- my levels ping-ponged all over the place.

maybe the first thing ya can do is not be so hard on yourself. acceptance of one's limitations is difficult -- the what you want to be/do vs what reality says you will not be/do. it took me several years before i wasn't fighting that battle and in those years, i learned compensation techniques and skills. of course, i was stubborn and fought against having to make those changes and modifications and pushed myself too hard too often.