Friday, July 22, 2011

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Must Read!

Just finished reading an engrossing, hilarious book and I could not wait to share the title with all of you.

Anyone else read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society?

I could not put this book down. I started reading it in a house full of 11 kids on Tuesday, got sucked in and could not stop reading, so you know it's engrossing. I read it in the airport and on the plane on the way home on Wednesday.

I finished it in bed yesterday evening when I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open...but I could not stop until I finally got to the end.

Just a great read, breezy and light enough in parts to make you giggle out loud (making folks on the plane think you are bonkers, if my cackling in parts and the resulting sideways glances from fellow passengers is any indication).  But also full of rich, historical detail and deeper context, philosophical questions, and lifelong struggles...in other words, it is absolutely a page turner.


It is set on the island of Guernsey, which is English soil and part of the Channel Islands near the coast of France, just after the close of WWII.  Did you know that the Channel Islands were occupied by the Germans during WWII?  I really had never given it much thought, but I found the history and back story on this absolutely riveting.

For some background with a  bit of spoilers, take a peek at this review on Bookworm Meets Bookworm.

Without giving anything away, though, there is romance, heart-rending loss, and a slew of humor strewn in just when you need it.  And a heaping helping of decency and human kindnesses that make you believe in the goodness and potential of the human soul.

Get this book and read it.  You can thank me later...

More here.

No comments: