Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hobbling To The Resolution Starting Line

It's time to put all those resolutions into action, gang.

Although I could not have timed my 2nd degree burn any more poorly, I refuse to allow my current state of mobility limitations to prevent me from moving forward on my plans.

Sometimes life throws you a curveball.  The trick for me is figuring out how to move past it without sabotaging my own plans for better health.

And so?  Today will mean that I clean out our fridge so that we can start off Monday with a fresh and healthy set of choices.

Sure, I'll be cleaning things out while sitting on a chair, and Mr. ReddHedd is going to have to help me -- and go shopping for me -- but we will make do.  Then I'll spend some time, still sitting on a kitchen stool, prepping snacks and some other food for tomorrow.

And hopefully, if I can keep moving forward today -- which isn't a given since I've been needing naps as my scalded leg heals -- I'll try to post what my menu plans are for the week.


I thought if I'm going to spend time figuring out what some easy-to-prepare, healthy food might be for us, that the information might come in handy for other folks who are dealing with an injury but still want to get healthier, too. 

My point?  If it is important to you, you find a way to make it happen.  And I am going to make this happen, come hell or high water.

I'll have more on my exact plans tomorrow, I promise, but for today I'm going to try and concentrate on food.

Planning and preparation tend to be key for me in any given week given how much we are running around to activities and meetings and such, but this week especially will need some tweaking because moving around wreaks havoc with the bandages on my leg (which is not good!) so I'm going to have to figure out ways to make this work regardless of the movement limitations.

Mr. ReddHedd and I were talking about this yesterday.  It isn't that we have to do this perfectly -- we both tend to have an obsessive streak when it comes to finer details and form with exercise, for example.  But what we both really need?  Is to just be doing some activity every day.  It doesn't have to be marathon training, just walking or some yoga or something...but it has to be every day.  (Or will be for me once I'm allowed to do something beyond simple stretches -- I'm going to ask about that at my appointment on Monday.)

We need to make better food choices, too.  Like Anton Ego in Ratatouille, who said "if I don't like it, I don't swallow," our new motto is "if it isn't healthy for me, I don't swallow."  Our new key phrase to the other person if we are making a bad, seemingly unconscious choice is "Anton Ego."

Being on this road together is helpful.  Having the mutual support is critical when you are having a tough moment.  And that's why I thought all of us joining in together might be great, too.  Most of us know each other only from online contact -- so we can be totally honest about failures, weaknesses, fears, etc., and not have to worry about facing each other at PTA next week, right?  Who cares about being judgmental in this sort of forum?  Not me, that's for sure.

I make the best progress when I feel like I have a supportive cushion, and that is true for most women I know, too.  (Probably for men as well, although it can be tough to get some of them to talk about it, can't it?  That's a post for a whole other day, though.)

But first, we have to figure out a name for our little groups, don't we?  So leave suggestions in the comments.  I'm noodling around with a few ideas myself, and will pop those up in a bit for everyone to peruse.

Let's get moving, even if it is at a hobble for some of us.  (I so wish that I were kidding...)

(Photo via szeke.  Love this shot!)

No comments: