Sunday, September 26, 2010

Is It Soup Season Yet?

I got a couple of e-mails requesting that I share more soup recipes after I posted the one for spicy veggie dal.  

Because it is the beginning of soup season here, I'm just now digging through my usual suspect cookbooks and renewing my memory on old favorites and picking up some new ideas.  But I thought this might be a fun way to share some things I find -- or some things I already love -- with everyone as I do this.

One of my favorite soup cookbooks was a find that was suggested by my pal, Fiona Avery.  It is a wonderful, earthy book filled with seasonal soup recipe entitled Twelve Months of Monastery Soups.

The monk who wrote it has a new cookbook coming out next month that I'm hoping to buy, and I'll let you know how it is when I get it.   I don't have it yet, but it sounds like it will be another lovely one in his series of cookbooks. It's entitled The Pure Joy of Monastery Cooking: Essential Meatless Recipes for the Home Cook.

The Monastary Soups cookbook has some real gems, which are arranged monthly so you can take advantage of seasonal, local produce.  Some of my favorites are the Chickpea Soup a la Provençale (p. 7), Quick Black Bean Mexican Soup (p. 27), Cuban Black Bean Soup (p. 65), and Tomato Soup Florentine Style (p. 134).

But I often get a lot of my soup ideas from recipes I find online, too.  The great thing about a soup recipe is that it almost always converts well to the crockpot, because most need a long, slow simmer to fully develop flavor.  Which translates to a fairly easy time for the cook at our house.


Thought I'd share a few links:

-- French Onion Soup
-- Tortilla Soup
-- Hot & Sour Soup With Shrimp
-- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
-- Vegetable Soup with Pistou
-- Northwoods Bean Soup
-- Butternut Squash-Parsnip Soup
-- Slow Cooker Beer-Braised Black Bean and Pork Soup
-- Easy Slow Cooker White Bean Soup
-- Spicy Black-and-Red Bean Soup
-- Provencal Beef Stew
-- Moroccan Vegetable Stew
-- Beef Daube Provençal (not technically a soup, more of a very thick stew-like sauce, but delish!)
-- Classic Beef Stew
-- Peasant Stew
-- Slow Cooker Venison Stew
-- African Sweet Potato Stew With Red Beans
-- Baked Potato Soup
-- Roasted Pumpkin-Apple Soup
-- Autumn Chicken Stew
-- Quick, Substantial French Onion Soup
-- Leek, Potato and Spinach Stew
-- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
-- Sweet Potato-Peanut Bisque
-- Curried Squash and Chicken Soup
-- Quick Black Bean Soup
-- Sweet And Sour Beef Cabbage Soup
-- Slow Cooker Turkish Lamb and Veggie Stew
-- Chicken and White Bean Soup
-- Chicken Mulligatawny
-- Asian Inspired Chicken Soup
-- Manhattan Crab Chowder
-- Bouillabaisse with Spicy Rouille
-- Fragrant Shredded Beef Stew
-- Irish Lamb Stew
-- Cream Of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
-- Hawaiian Ginger Chicken Stew
-- Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
-- Chicken and Barley Soup
-- Slow Cooker Chickpea Stew
-- Lentil-Ham Soup
-- Asian Turkey and Rice Soup
-- Slow-Cooked Minestrone
-- Chicken, Vegetable and Bean Soup
-- Crockpot Posole
-- Butternut Squash Bisque
-- Triple Tomato Soup
-- Good Winter Greens Soup 
-- Tuscan Bean Soup with Spinach
-- Oriental Shrimp Soup
-- Easy Ravioli Chicken Soup
-- Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup
-- Southwestern Pinto Bean Soup 
-- Chicken And Sausage Gumbo 
-- Sweet Potato Soup With Toasted Pecans
-- Asian Noodle Bowls
-- Super Easy Avgolemono Soup

(Photo via looseends.  Love this shot -- cozy in a cup.)

1 comment:

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Meant to say, if anyone has a fave soup or stew recipe, please share it. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a soup lover myself, and always looking for another good one...