Thursday, July 29, 2010

Yummy Maple Cinnamon Rice Pudding

Yesterday evening, I was craving rice pudding.  It has been a comfort food kinda week, ya know?

I had some leftover brown basmati rice from our latest curry night, but not really enough to make a decent sized batch of rice pudding.

What I wanted was a creamy, maple-y, cinnamon-y bowl of goodness.  Maybe two bowls.

I got the idea for the recipe from The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook : 250 No-Fail Recipes for Pilafs, Risottos, Polenta, Chilis, Soups, Porridges, Puddings and More, from Start to Finish in Your Rice Cooker, but didn't exactly follow the recipe precisely because I wanted a little more than it would have made so I could have some for breakfast this morning, too.

So I did the following:


In a bowl, I mixed together my four cups of leftover cooked brown basmati rice, another cup to cup and a half (I didn't measure, I just eyeballed it) of instant brown rice, 4 cups of skim milk, 2 cups evaporated skim milk (actually one can of it and then I filled up the second with skim milk), about a cup of real maple syrup (not the fake stuff -- this is one place you really want to use real syrup), a teaspoon of vanilla, a teaspoon cinnamon, and another teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.

I mixed this altogether and then popped the whole gloopy bit in the rice cooker (we got the 10 cup one, so there was plenty of room -- yay!).

I set it for a porridge setting and it filled the entire house with the most delicious scent while it cooked.  It was all that I could do not to open the cooker and scoop out some half-cooked pudding.

Seriously.

Once it was done, I let it sit for 15 more excruciating minutes and steam to allow a little more milk to absorb so it was creamy instead of runny.  Again, I just sort of eyeballed it, so ymmv on that timing.

It was divine.  The best rice pudding I've had in ages, and exactly what I wanted last night.

And because I used brown rice?  I can coax myself into thinking it's relatively healthy for me, which makes that second bowl that I had last night all the sweeter.

(Photo via theilr.)

3 comments:

Christy Hardin Smith said...

FYI, I can confirm that some maple cinnamon rice pudding with sliced banana is also utterly divine.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

barbara said...

Well, this is really something. Rice pudding at other than Christmas time. Rice pudding that is not white. This calls into question my whole 11-month-per-year martyred deprivation thingie re rice pudding. Duh!

Thanks, Christy. I'm taking this as permission to buck the calendar.

Suzanne said...

oh yummy! i would toss a handful or two of raisins into the pot... that's the way i had it as a kid, with raisins.

never made it with evaporated milk... hmmm

thanks again and glad you are feeling better