Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rice Cooker Recommendations?

We have been making a real effort to eat more whole grains at our house as part of a push to eat healthier overall.

One of the things I love most is steel-cut oats for breakfast in the morning.  Nummy stuff, but they take forever to cook, so I've been starting them in our slow cooker the evening before.

The problem?

The slow cooker must work at a higher temperature for some reason, because no matter how much extra liquid I put in the pot it still scorches and sticks in a nasty way to the bottom and sides.  Ick.

The Peanut and I went to the local library this week, and I found a wonderful book on rice cooker recipes and uses that I am loving:  The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger.  It includes some great information about types of cookers and features.

Which led me to dig around online for some product reviews.  After lots of research, I'm leaning toward the Zojurushi NP-HBC18, but its hefty price tag makes me hesitate.

Food and Wine gave it a stellar review, so the foodie in me is sorely tempted.  Years of purchasing a cheaper model of something only to find that it either broke or didn't work as promised -- see above reference to slow cooker which heats way too much -- have made me suspicious of the real value of a "bargain."


But it's a hell of an outlay for an appliance without seeing if anyone has personal experience with a particular brand they love?

So, tell me:  do you have a rice cooker and, if so, what sort and do you love it?  Comments and/or gripes very welcome.

(Photo of rice via bump.)

2 comments:

barbara said...

McCann's Irish oatmeal? We love that in this house.

Somewhere, I have a slow-cooker recipe that involves putting the stuff in a water bath overnight. Is that what you're doing, too? I haven't tried it yet, but planning to.

Also a recipe in that same somewhere for soaking it all overnight before cooking.

If you solve the overnight riddle before I do, please tell!

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Barbara, I posted a link to recipes a while back for steel-cut oats in the crockpot that I absolutely love. (See here: http://homecelebration.blogspot.com/2010/05/survival-in-otherwise-crazy-morning.html) The problem for me is that my crockpot cooks at too high a temperature, and I end up with yummy oats in the middle and a burned, sticky, mess around the edges and the bottom that takes me three days of soaking to get off.

Although I love the oats? The clean-up is way too much work.

When I started looking at rice cookers, it occurred to me that they might work well for other whole grains. And the zojurushi one has a "porridge" setting for a light heat/steam to cook the grains without overcooking and burning them into a gunky mess. If we decide to get one and I try it out, I'll let you know for sure. If anyone else has a fuzzy logic rice cooker and have already cooked this, please let me know. Am going to do some more research before we plunk down any cash for one, though, and I'd love to know personal experiences if folks have them.