Sunday, May 30, 2010

In Tribute



For all of those who fell so that we could continue to work toward a more perfect union.  For those who survived the horrors of war, only to come home, raise their families and live their lives in the best ways they could.

For all those members of my family and my husband's family who have served, and for all their loved ones who prayed so hard for their safe return so many sleepless nights. 

Charles Durning, who fought on the beach on D-Day with so many others in WWII, describes what he endured, survived, and lives with still.  Watch this.  It has haunted me ever since I first saw it.

It is the most enduring tribute I could think of for this Memorial Day. 

1 comment:

barbara said...

Oh, my. Oh, oh, oh. How powerful, Christy.

We wandered through Fort Snelling National Cemetery this morning, marveling at the 180,000 or so simple white headstones there, all in precise and pristine rows.

Iraq. Vietnam. Korea. WWII (my father). WWI. Spanish American War.

Why, oh why, do we do this?

Rhetorical, I guess.