Sunday, April 11, 2010

It Is What It Is


Life got in the way. That's about all I can say on why it has been so long since I've posted here.

But I'm vowing to do better. Including hopping back up on the get healthier bandwagon, after some health issues and other things over the last two years pretty much sidelined whatever progress I had been trying to make.

As we have been saying at our house, it is what it is. But it's time to pick myself up, dust off my walking shoes and eat a whole lot better.

I've started doing Weight Watchers. I'm doing their Simply Filling (formerly Core) plan, and it is surprisingly tasty and easy to live with for me.

But perhaps that is because I've always been the sort of person who loves fresh veggies and fruit as the mainstay of my eating, even though I had allowed myself to get away from that for far too long.

The list of allowable foods is pretty long. It includes the aforementioned fruits and veggies (NOT drowned in butter or sugar sauces, mind you, but the whole versions of these foods), lean meats, whole grains, nonfat dairy and assorted other condiments and foods that are tipped toward the healthy end of the balance scale.

But there is still a little room for a not-so-good-for-you treat in moderation, so long as it isn't a regular habit.


Here is a treasure trove of recipes for Simply Filling/Core eating that gives you a good idea of where to start. It's something I could likely do on my own, but I'm enjoying the group support dynamic of a regular, weekly Weight Watchers meeting, too.

And since it is working, I am loathe to rock the boat. At least, not yet, anyway.

This is a lot like Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet concept. Her books are well worth perusal, especially the The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged!: Lasting Fat Loss That's Better than Ever! and The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes That Keep You Lean. She has a couple of quinoa recipes in there that are amazingly tasty. (If you haven't tried quinoa, get thee to a bulk or whole foods store pronto!) I have been using a lot of her recipes lately and loving them.

Plus, I'm down 15 pounds (with more to go). Boo yah!

Now that the weather is better, I'm hoping to go for a walk pretty regularly and will work my way up to doing some weights and other resistance training, too. Here's to a healthier year this year...


(Photo via epSos.de. Gorgeous shot.)

No comments: