Friday, April 30, 2010

Berry Good

It's that time of year when fresh strawberries begin to appear in the grocery store, along with more blueberries, blackberries and raspberries, up from Florida's sunshine like a burst of summer in the midst of our fledgling spring.

In other words, I'm in heaven.

I've discovered that a breakfast of fresh berries combined with some key lime yogurt is sublime.  But so is some nonfat plain Greek yogurt and berries.  Or berries in my oatmeal.

Or just plain berries.  Love them in pretty much anything or all alone as a snack.

As I've tinkered with my diet a bit to make it more anti-inflammatory, the need to consume more foods with higher antioxidants has become more of a priority.   The joy for me has been rediscovering just how good fresh, whole food can be, in its original, unadulterated state.

In addition to the yumminess, I just feel better eating them regularly.  Funny how healthy food makes you feel more healthy, isn't it?


There is a farm near my hometown that does u-pick blueberries.  If and when we finally get the last bits of the garage cleared out and buy the freezer we've been talking about for ages, I'm making a trip there to load up on blueberries.  I'm sensing a summer filled with fruit crisps and breakfast bowls brimming with goodness.

What's your favorite berry recipe?  Do tell...

(Fresh berry photo via eblaser.  Lovely.)

No comments: