Sunday, December 1, 2013

Filling The Well




















As it turns out, my ability to push myself to complete one thing after another has fizzled entirely this week.  Apparently, my body after breast cancer treatment is not willing to allow me to keep going and going like the Energizer bunny, and the last day or two has consisted of me sitting around like a lump, resting up from the holiday cooking frenzy that was Thanksgiving.

I'd like to say lesson learned, but we all know better, don't we?

The thing is, the sitting around has led to a bit of introspection about the choices that I make, in general.  If, indeed, my energy and ability to do things is a finite resource, then what sorts of better choices should I be making in how I spend that energy?

It's a good question.  And one that we would all do well to consider from time to time.

One that I ignore far too often, which is how I get into this sort of blah, exhausted state on a regular basis, I am sad to say.  You'd think that I could harness my brain power for a much better return on my energy expenditure investment, wouldn't you?

Today will be all about filling the well.  My body needs a rest, and my mind needs some space to figure out how to manage things without this constant deplete and repeat cycle.  There has to be a better way, a better path with more balance and much less of this constantly teetering on the edge.

Heaven knows, the breast cancer diagnosis wasn't something I could control.  But I can control how I live after the fact:  eating more healthfully, getting regular exercise, doing the things that make me happy and healthy and move me forward instead of feeling like I am marching in place.

So many choices.  Now to figure out how to pick the ones that take me down the better path...and in the meantime, I'm going to find some fun and relaxing things to help me fill the well.  My inner reserve is running seriously low.  Suggestions are welcome.


(Photo via hockadilly.)

No comments: