Monday, November 4, 2013

The Soothing Sound Of Silence






















Monday mornings provide something that I desperately crave:  silence.  For as long as I can remember, I've needed some down time in quiet, alone, after spending any time at all around other people.  Up to now, I've chalked it up to just a quirk of my personality.

But after seeing this pictorial article on Buzzfeed about introverts, I think there may be something more to it.  Because this is me completely:
When you need to take breaks and recharge after socializing for too long....Having visitors stay with you is a nightmare, because it means you have to be on at ALL TIMES....When you’re trying to get something done at work, but you can’t, because everyone else is talking....
There is a lot more, but they are pretty much all me in one way or another.

Reading the article made a giant light bulb go off in my head.  *bing*  After all of these years, suddenly my constant need to work at overcoming my inherent shyness and how it wears me out entirely after doing pretty much anything social makes so much more sense.

As I sit here in our quiet house this morning, sipping on my coffee and enjoying the hush of the empty house,  I do feel so much more refreshed and centered than I ever would in a room full of people. 

And I'm going to take some time today to soak it in -- based on the abject craziness of last week and the impending holiday rush-o-rama in the next couple of months?  Silence is going to be a scarce commodity.

Given the forced social chaos of November and December every year, it is no wonder the holidays wear me out so much.  Suddenly, the world as I know it makes so much more sense.  And I thought I was just being grumpy...



(Photo via renê ardanuy on/off.)


No comments: