Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks For My Blessings





Starting Thanksgiving day off with a warm cuppa coffee and a little Arlo Guthrie with the Muppets.  Does it get any better?

Yes, yes it does.

Last night, I made Bree Drummond's Cinnamon Baked French Toast ahead to soak in the custard overnight, and now the french toast casserole and some bacon are crisping away in the oven.   The house already smells delicious, and I haven't even begun the turkey and stuffing baking.  That will get underway in the next hour.

Upstairs, my family is either sleeping or reading away.  Our nephew, Ben, flew safely in yesterday, despite all the weather, and we are really enjoying him.  My mom and her fiance are driving here today to feast with us, and we will all fill our bellies with gusto this afternoon.

It truly is a day to count my blessings.

After the year we have had, counting my blessings has taken on a whole new level of importance, too.  Every day that I wake up and I am not feeling the horrible after-effects of chemo treatment, I am thankful.

My family is amazing and loving and generous with their care, and I love them for it.  Our daughter is awesome, and loves me a lot, and my husband and I truly are soul mates in every sense of the word.  I really am blessed.

We have a snug home, warm and cozy on a cold wintry day.  And an adorable dog who loves to romp with squeaky toys until she falls over, panting for breath with a doggie smile on her face.

Life is good.

Pause for a few moments today and count your own blessings.  We'll be doing a blessing bowl at the table today -- everyone writes a blessing or two on an index card and then tosses it in the bowl.  Then we read them out loud after Thanksgiving dinner together.

I'm thankful for all of you, too, especially those of you who comment and make this interactive for me.  All of your support through the ordeal this year truly meant the world.  So thank you, thank you, thank you.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy turkey day. You are an inspiration. Peace, Nancy

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Thanks, Nancy. Hope you are having a good holiday weekend. :)