Friday, July 5, 2013

It's A Mystery!




















For whatever reason, probably ease of reading so that my chemo-addled brain can fully enjoy an easy pull-me-along read, but I've been on a mystery kick lately.

My books of choice during chemo infusions have been M. C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth mysteries:  because they are just funny enough to get a giggle out of me, even with all the poison coursing through my veins.  But, most importantly, they are an easy enough read that I can follow along even with a double dose of steroids and benedryl added to the chemo cocktail mix.

I've always been a bit of a mystery fiend, loving Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle and everything in between.

So I thought I would throw some questions out to everyone:

-- Who is your favorite mystery writer and why?

-- What is your favorite mystery book of all time?

-- What is your favorite mystery film?  Why?  It could be a modern adaptation or an old noir classic, a television adaptation, or something not necessarily considered a mystery but which presents one nonetheless (like a scifi thriller with mystery written all over it -- a lot of the work of Philip K. Dick brought to the big screen springs to mind here!).

Would love your thoughts on some new mysteries to read or watch.  Thanks in advance for any good suggestions!


(Photo via NoĆ«mie Haffner.  Love this!)

2 comments:

Prairie/Sandy said...

Hi, Christie — glad to recommend Erin Hart's mysteries, also Dana Stabenow, William Kent Krueger.

All offer strong local color along with interesting characters and the mystery. Hart = Ireland, St.Paul MN, Stabenow = Alaska, Krueger = northern Minnesota. Down-to-earth protagonists and a good way to "travel" while you're tethered to that infusion.

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - lots of fun stuff to peruse here! And I love the idea of travel even when I am tethered. Very thoughtful!