Thursday, August 30, 2012

Morning Pages



















For months now, my morning pages have been severely neglected...again... and as a result things were beginning to fray at the edges.

No idea how I can simultaneously know better than to neglect these and yet still not bother to do them, but here I am.

Having gone through a seminar with Julia Cameron on this very point a few years back, it is incredibly frustrating that I have to re-learn this lesson for myself.  But here I am.

The good news is that I got up this morning feeling oogy and exhausted, recognized my need for some quiet reflection time today, and then made it happen as I got everyone else ready and out the door.  Sitting down with my far-too-long-neglected journal and some Loreena McKinnett music playing in the background was akin to a vacation that I didn't realize I needed so desperately until I was in the midst of things.

When just filling up my fountain pen with some fresh ink is refreshing, I know I've been neglecting this inner reflection time far too much.

Somehow, and I have no idea how this works but it truly does, just dumping everything onto the page with the scratch of a fountain pen nib against the paper helps to sort through the hurdles in front of me and brings order to the chaos.  It is as though all of the stress and frustration flows out with the ink.


The bottom line is this:
It's funny how sometimes you have to create space for yourself to truly see where you are and where you want to go.
Find some space for yourself today and see where it takes you.

(Lovely photo of pouring water via Paulo Homburto.  Given how it felt this morning to pour everything onto the page, it was just perfect.  Thank you!)



No comments: