Sunday, May 6, 2012

Just Another Weekend


















I don't know why it is that our weekends seems to disappear insanely fast, but they do.  It is as though time speeds up on the weekends, and whizzes by us as quickly as possible to get everyone back to work and school.

It is tough to savor the relaxation when there is just so much to get done.

And harder still when the window of time in which to accomplish the weekend "to do" list appears to be shrinking exponentially.

I've decided that better time management is my friend.  The trick is to figure out exactly what that means and make it work to my advantage.

Anyone have suggestions for ways to manage day to day tasks with more efficiency?  Or establish routines that help in that tremendously?


I think my problem, like a lot of yours as well based on e-mails that I've gotten, is this:  we are all stretched too thin with too many things that need to be accomplished and too little time to get them all done.  That line in The Lord of the Rings from Bilbo springs to mind -- "like too little butter over too much bread."

The key may be to reduce what you have to do by eliminating some of the tasks, but that's a longer term process with better daily management, I think.  At the front end, I'm trying to find a good way to plan this out which makes sense.

So today, it is "universal to do list" day wherein I write out everything that needs to be done this month at our house.  Then I prioritize that list and assign tasks to myself and everyone else in the household.  And then?  We begin to do them one by one, while at the same time I do a lot of laundry before the week begins anew.

Decluttering and project accomplishment -- it's not for sissies.


(Photo by Christy Hardin Smith.  From a tea party that The Peanut and I had together in our kitchen on a fun day that seems eons and eons ago now.  Time is whizzing by far too quickly...)

No comments: