Friday, April 27, 2012

Slipping Through The Cracks


















It has been one of those weeks where I feel like I'm running in circles trying to get a million things done...and nothing is getting completed to my satisfaction.

Why is it that lately there are so many balls juggling in the air? 

It isn't just me, either.  Seems like everyone I speak to lately is feeling that pinch for time and a sense of doom in terms of impending deadlines looming and no chance in hell of actually meeting them all.  Life, of late, is a flat out sprint for far too many of us.

How to fix that?

No idea.  But today is a "finally cross a few things off the to do list" kind of day, because I can't afford for it to be anything else. 

Thus far, I've managed to do a load of dishes, get a badly needed haircut, and am headed out to order a birthday cake for our nephew and take care of about 50 bazillion other errands, revise a set of school-required Curriculum Standards forms that have to be sent up the chain to show that we are meeting library teaching requirements for every class from kindergarten up to 6th grade, and a whole host of other things that need doing before we even get to the school play tonight.

If ever there were a "Calgon, take me away!" moment, this would be it.


Go out and find something fun to do today, if only for a moment.  Drink it in and savor it.  And send some of that moment of relaxation my way, would you?

If anyone knows some great tips for better time management or task completion, I would love them.  Clearly what I am doing at the moment isn't fully working for me, unless you consider a constant, flat out scrambling feeling of impending doom and failure to be working well under pressure.  What I'd like is to feel like I'm managing all of this a lot better instead of running to stand still.  Thoughts?

Because right now?  It feels like the fun part of my day is slipping through the cracks entirely and being drowned out by the yammering and ever-growing, endless "to do" list.  That can't be right.


(Photo by Christy Hardin Smith.)

No comments: