Thursday, March 15, 2012

Struggling To Achieve Balance




















Maybe it's a modern woman thing?  I dunno.

But the trouble with always struggling to find some balance is that, too often anyway, it sure feels like I'm about to topple over.

Lately, it feels like I'm running in far too many directions at once, and not getting anything done as well as I'd like to because I don't have enough time to devote to any one task to achieve my best results.  It is beyond frustrating, especially for a Type A perfectionist who chides herself into doing her best at all times.

So what's a poor girl to do?  Other than dive in to the last remaining hold-out box of Girl Scout cookies that she's stashed in the back of the pantry for just such an emergency?  Hello, thin mints lovers...

My plan today is to take a deep breath and cut myself a break.

Perfection isn't a daily thing, it's an ongoing, movable target, and one which you rarely get to hit.  So I'm going to savor the little achievements today and try to be more zen about the stuff I can't get to -- because, quite honestly, after teaching all day yesterday and still getting over a cold?  I'm in the mood for not a whole heck of a lot today.

And that, she says in her best Stewart Smalley (YouTube) voice, is okay.

Maybe balance is all about learning to let go.  So long as I don't try to do that perfectly, I'll be much happier, I think, if I can learn to do that a little better.


Meanwhile?  I'm going to sit back and have a giggle at the ongoing saga of watching our westie, Roxie, go bonzer yo yo when the little squirrel that lives in the trees out back visits the bird feeder.

One of these days I'll videotape her and you can all sit back and have a belly laugh with me.  The tiny little squirrel  would kick her behind if I ever let her out into the yard to chase him, but don't ever tell Roxie. 

(Photo via Tomorrow Never Knows.)

No comments: