Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rock, Rock, Rocking The Boat?

It's been a long time coming.

But a change?  A change is gonna come.

The question is:  what sort of change?  How to best implement it?  What changes are helpful...and what ones are more harmful than anything else?

I'm wrestling with the need to make some substantial changes which will impact not just me, but also the entire family.  Especially in terms of what we are eating and what I'm willing to buy and cook, because health needs to take a higher priority for all of us going forward.

How to do that without completely rocking the family boat -- let alone capsizing it -- is a big question.  And one that I cannot readily answer.


Have you made any huge nutritional changes for your family?  How did it go?  How did you eventually smooth out the rougher edges -- or did you?  Do share.

(Photo via Miwok.  Gorgeous shot.  Love it!)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I made the decision to go gluten free 3+ years ago. Maybe that's a similar big change like the one(s) you are wanting to make. Here are some things that have helped me.

The biggie: Focus on what I can eat. There are lots of alternatives to every "forbidden" food. I especially like trying out healthy alternative recipes for my favorite foods. I found some corn muffins, for example, that taste like my grandma's best ones!

To make it work: I find I have to make time to buy and prepare healthy things ahead of time so that they are ready when I am hungry or ready to pack a lunch or have to grab a quick meal before a meeting.

I try to make what I do eat really delicious and what I like. For example, I like fairly spicy food -- especially Tex-Mex or Cajun or Asian food, so I make healthy, yet interesting, things.

I have come to see the limitations as a good thing. I have fewer things in my pantry and fridge. I think you would like the simplicity of that.

And you have a great asset in being able to share all of that with a child. You could get her to help, even to help find recipes online or in cookbooks. You could let her help you make her favorites healthier.

Even though I'm a grown-up, I'm a sucker for charts, stickers, prizes and the like for milestones and rewards! That might be fun!

I am not perfect at this. The big change I need to make right now is to add "movement" (yeah, exercise) on a regular basis. Any hints for me?

I hope some of this might feel like encouragement for you. Go for it, Christy!

Tracy said...

Check out this video about a mom who made major changes and how she explained it to her kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA