Thursday, February 2, 2012

Adding A Little Exotic To The Mix


















One of the things that Disney does best is adding in the layers of detail that really make the atmosphere stand out in their parks.

It's never just a line or a walkway at their parks.  There is always some visual adventure waiting to be found around the next corner, even in a tedious line that stretches out forever.  The line for their Everest roller coaster springs to mind -- it is stunning.

Honestly, they make this sort of effort in all of their parks and hotels, but one of the places they do that really, really well is in the Animal Kingdom park.  The landscaping and attention to detail are really stunning there.  You stumble across "ruins" that seemingly pop up out of nowhere in the foliage alongside the paths.

On the Maharajah Jungle Trail in their Asia section, we found these painted walls, flecked and plastered to look as though they were the old ruins of some long-mouldering and forgotten Rajah's palace.  Just gorgeous.

I especially love this tiger, painted near the tiger enclosure on the trail.  The detail is lovely:





















I love discovering artistic flourishes like this -- a little piece of the exotic that just leaps out as a detail and then grabs you.

As I've been going through my pictures from our vacation, it occurs to me that I ought to do the same in my own home:  pop in a little of the unexpected here and there, some finer details, some artsy flourishes, not too much but just enough to keep things visually intriguing and fun.

I'm going to take some time today to figure out how to do just that with items we already have but aren't using to their full advantage.  If I come up with something good, I'll snap a picture and share.

It made me wonder how other folks weave in a little exotic and surprise into their own home decor.  If you have some suggestions or ideas, please share!

(Photos by Christy Hardin Smith.)

No comments: