Thursday, December 8, 2011

Don't Wait For "Someday"

Life is a series of twists and turns these days.  I suppose it gets that way as you age -- everyone you love ages, too, and goes through their own sets of challenges and you go through it with them along with your own.

The key to being happier and less wrung out, I have found lately, is to find the way to surf the currents of your life instead of trying to fight harshly against the way the tide is trying to take you.

That's not intuitive for me.  I like to try to shape the things around me into whatever I want or need them to be. 

Lately?  Life has had other ideas for me.

So I can just go along for the ride and make the best of where things are, or I can kick and scream my way through and end up in pretty much the same place anyway.

Figuring out a way to enjoy the journey, no matter its bumps, twists and turns, has become my mantra. 

Because honestly?  It's never going to be completely smooth, no matter how good things are.  There are always going to be bumps along the way.

If the last few years have taught me nothing else, it is that:  you have to find your joy wherever you are, and not keep waiting for "someday."

Even though I'm still healing from my surgery (but much, much better today than I was just two weeks ago -- the human body is an amazing thing, isn't it?), and dealing with a sick Peanut who is home from school for the second day in a row with a nasty fever, my life is still good. 

Last night we made a plan to snuggle up under a blanket and watch some movies and read a Laura Ingalls Wilder book together.  That I get to do that with my own daughter?  It is more than I ever expected back in the horrible days of infertility losses and longings.

So life is good, even with a few bumps along the way.

Take a moment today to see the truly good things in your own life.  No matter what you have been through to bring you low lately, try to find some piece of joy in your own life and savor it for a little while. 

Better yet?  Make something wonderful happen for you today -- don't wait for someday, do it now.  You deserve it.

(Photo via raul-fotografia.  Lovely, isn't it?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This beautiful post reminds me of the last few lyrics of Kate Wolf's song, "These Times We're Living In"--

If I could, I'd tell you now
There are no roads that do not bend
Days, like flowers bloom and fade,
And they do not come again.

We've only got these times we're living in.


Enjoy your time with Peanut, and I hope she feels better already!

Christy Hardin Smith said...

I love the lyrics, Robin. Thanks so much for sharing them. Just perfect. :)