Friday, September 23, 2011

Calling Tea Lovers Everywhere

When stress comes calling at our house, I turn to my old, dear friend:  a cuppa hot tea.

There is something so soothing in that warm, delicious brew for me.  It's  like magic.  Maybe it is the cool touch of my granny's hand when I was sick as a child, as she touched my feverish brow and then handed me a nice, warm, sweetened cuppa.  Or my father making both of us some tea to soothe over some school day slight when I would come home in tears, so we could sit down, sip and chat.

No idea what it is, but a good cup of hot tea is like a magic elixir that smooths out all of life's many wrinkles for so long as the warm brew lasts in my mug.

The British and Japanese were definitely on to something with those tea rituals and traditions.

Of late, my favorite has been PG Tips Special Blend.

My only problem?  It is impossible to find here in WV, and I have to special order it or get lucky and score some at a store when we are on vacation.

It seems to me that I ought to be able to find a decent brew that is strong yet complex at my local grocery store, so I'm asking for a little help from all of you:  what is your favorite black tea?  I'd love to try some new and tasty suggestions, so please chime in with your faves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy,
Well I don't know if it's complex, but my favorite black tea that I can afford is Red Rose. I'd never heard of it until a patient's wife (she was from the UK) said this was the closest to 'proper tea' that she could find here. It's in every grocery store in my area.
Margot

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Hey Margot -- I had completely forgotten about Red Rose. I used to love that tea, and you are right -- it is affordable and yummy at the same time. Thanks for the reminder! :)