Thursday, August 25, 2011

Say Thank You To A Teacher Today




















Yesterday was my first full day of teaching library class.  It has been a while since I have done that much continuous standing -- and I don't think my arm has ever had to hold out a book for display for hours on end since story time at our house has tended to be one-on-one in my lap with The Peanut.

I had a lot of fun -- how can you not have fun reading Curious George to 5 year olds, honestly? -- but it brought home to me a few truths about what teachers do for all of us.

So if you have a child in school, or you are friends with someone who is (or even was at some point) a teacher, just say thank you to them today.  My mother taught school for more than 30 years, and I don't think she ever got to hear "thank you" enough even though she really worked on her lessons with the kids pretty much continuously through her career.

Just a simple "thank you" would have made her day any number of times.  So give that gift to a teacher you know this week, and watch them smile.

By the end of the day yesterday, I was absolutely exhausted.  Between class preparation and library room prep, I've been really busy the last few weeks anyway.  But the actual teaching day is jam-packed and I really had no idea what to expect until I actually stood up there and did it.

The fact that elementary school teachers do that five days a week, pretty much continuously all day long, every day, with only a little break or two woven into the day is amazing.  Truly.

I can already tell that I'm going to enjoy this.   I sure hope the kids do as well.

(Photo via alamosbasement.)

No comments: