Monday, April 11, 2011

On The Importance Of Spending Earnestly

I found this quote from Joe Dominguez particularly compelling, and wanted to share it with all of you, discussing saving versus spending at random:
It's investing in the future, your kids' future, your own future, your nation's future rather than glomming on to it all for yourself, right now, and maxing out the credit cards, which is putting a lien on your future, on your kids and the whole system. That's the craziness of today.
I say this knowing that I spent at random this past weekend, and that I've been trying to be more conscious about it. But sometimes? You just slip into the spending mode and you don't even realize it.

At least I do.

And then I have buyer's remorse on the other end of the transaction.  Not because I don't have the money to spend, necessarily, but more because I could have spent that money more wisely elsewhere.

If you want to make a difference, and I do -- I so want to make a difference for someone who needs it -- then oughtn't I be more careful with my pennies so that I can have more to give to folks who need it rather than wasting my pennies on things neither I nor my family really need, and on products that only enrich the people selling them to me and not much else?


Mindless consumerism is weighing me down this morning.  Thoughts?

(Lovely photo via Maeker.  Just the right evocative feel for me this morning...)

2 comments:

selise said...

thoughts?

that you have a conscience. and while that won't make life easy, it does make it worthwhile.

(((christy)))

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Selise! Good to see you. And yes, it does make things a whole lot more worthwhile to actually be compassionate, doesn't it?