Saturday, February 19, 2011

Digging For Zen

We're doing a bit of household cleaning today, basically because I am losing my mind that we haven't fully decluttered yet and the piles of random crapola on our flat surfaces are making me a mental health hazard for the other inhabitants of Casa Smith.

Yes, it is one of those days here.

What I want? Is to wake up in the morning and have my world be ordered instead of feeling the need to immediately straighten things from dawn until dusk.

And so, we're attempting to work on that -- together -- today, which is a huge deal in this household considering we generally use weekends to avoid doing just this.  And you know what?  It is making a hugely positive impact on my own, personal psyche not feeling like I am in the clutter-busting mode alone.

It's funny how something little like that can make all the difference in your perspective, isn't it?

So, here's to the weekend, whatever you are doing with it.  I'm going to keep on digging for my own zen, wherever I may find it, and I hope you'll be able to do the same.


(Photo via syntheticpanda.)

1 comment:

JanedV said...

Christy,

You're making me smile (happy memories). My daughter and I had a tradition...every President's Day and Columbus Day weekend, we would declutter. I found ways to make it fun and it became something we would both look forward to (Kath still talks about this.) She would try on clothes, clear out old toys, etc. This process was a necessity in a small NYC apartment but it was also happy, constructive time together.
I'm laughing because old habits die hard. Have just come in from cleaning the storage area where I keep hardware and lawn tools. I didn't realize how Pavlovian I was being until I read your post!
Hope you, the Peanut and Mr. RH have a wonderful time this weekend.