Thursday, November 18, 2010

Slow Cooker Cookbook Reviews

This one is for Molly, who asked in a prior thread for some cookbook recommendations for the slow cooker.

It's present season, you see, and she wanted to know what cookbooks I use alla time with my crockpot.  I'm sure she'd love to hear about your favorites, too!

So, Molly?  Here goes, in no particular order, the cookbooks that I really like at my house:

-- For an easy, basic, get you started variety of cookbook, this one is the gold standard, in my opinion.  Mabel Hoffman is a genius, and was the queen of the crockpot way back when, and her recipes still hold up and then some.  Especially the Old World Sauerbraten (p. 61), Spaghetti Meat Sauce (p. 72), Cranberry Pork Roast (p. 106), Southwest Beef and Pintos (p. 159), Orange-Glazed Ginger Carrots (p. 175), and Shades of Autumn Rice (p. 196), just to name a few.  I love this cookbook: Crockery Cookery.

--If your gift recipient happens to like Italian food (and who doesn't?!?), then this next one may be a perfect fit.  As Michele Scicolone says in her introduction, so many of the best foods she ate in Tuscany were cooked slowly in an earthenware crock -- so why not use a crockpot to make the same magic in your own kitchen without any fuss?  Genius.  Plus, her recipes are divine:  Turkey Meatball and Escarole Soup (p. 45), Turkey Ragu alla Bolognese (p. 62), Risotto with Artichokes (p. 73), Chicken with Rosemary and Garlic (p. 113), Lemon Chicken and Potatoes (p. 117), Osso Bucco with Red Wine (p. 159), and Tuscan-Style Beans (p. 193).  This one is definitely a keeper at our house -- The Italian Slow Cooker.


--Beth Hensperger and Julie Kauffman have put together some fantastic cookbooks that go from basics to showing off for company, all made in the crockpot.  I love their cookbooks, but I have two favorites which really ought to be in everyone's cookbook collection.  If you can only get one, get the first of these because it details start to finish how to make the most of a crockpot for your time sanity and your family's taste buds.  Trust me on this, with these recipes, they will be worshiping you as a kitchen goddess in no time.  Especially if you make the Pollo Colorado (p. 269) and have soft tacos for dinner.  Seriously yummy.  That recipe comes from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.

If you want to impress company, with only a mere added salad and some cooked rice, might I suggest the very Greek Beef Stifado on p. 311 of Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Entertaining.

-- I don't own this one yet, but I've been coveting it because I love good Indian food and we have to drive at least 45 minutes to get some which is not workable with our crazy schedule.  This seems like a really, really good idea, but I've only browsed and salivated thus far -- if anyone has this one and loves it, please let me know.  It's likely my next cookbook purchase when my budget allows for it: The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes.

There are, of course, a lot more slow cooker cookbooks out there. But those are the ones I turn to time and time again (with the exception of the Indian one, which is just one that looks fantastic but from which I haven't cooked anything as yet -- just sharing the joy of a new find there!). Anyone else have a favorite that I've missed that you think should be on everyone's shelf? Do tell!

(Photo via lisaclarke.)

13 comments:

Molly said...

Wow, thanks, Christy! My very own post! I've given my daughter links to your blog in the past, and am happy to do it again.

Are you familiar with "Make It Fast, Cook It Slow"? There are two, and the author has a blog called Crockpot 365.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Molly said...

P.S. I have a very early Crockery Cookery in paperback, the flyleaf says July 1975. The pages are brown with age, but I'm sure the recipes are still good.

Christy Hardin Smith said...

I've read through the first Make It Fast, Cook It Slow book -- checked it out of our local library to test a recipe or two and see if I wanted to buy it. I didn't buy it, but mostly because the recipes were a little too basic and bland for when I am cooking-wise at the moment. But YMMV -- it did have a really good recipe for a creme brulee that you make in the crockpot that looked really, really good. I figured my thighs would thank me for not making it, though. *g*

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Oops -- that should have been "where I am cooking-wise"

Can't type today...SIGH

diablesseblu said...

Christy, Thanks for this post. You've inspired me that this "way to cook" might be just the ticket when my mom comes home from the rehab center. If she could anticipate dinner, maybe I can continue the better nutrition she's been getting while recuperating.

Any suggestions for a reliable brand of crockpot? They all look so huge and vary wildly in price. It's only the two of us. Don't mind leftovers vis a vis size but I want one that's reliable.

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Jane -- mine are Rival brand ones. I have one with a timer and one without, but I rarely need to use the timer so long as I can cook on either LOW or HIGH. When I do need one, it's to flip the food over to "WARM" after it finishes cooking so it doesn't overheat, but the days are rare when I can't time when I put things in to where I'll be back home to check on them. So it would depend on what you need -- when I was working full time and out of the house until who knows what time most days, having the timer was a blessing and then some.

I've only ever had Rival ones, as they are the most frequently available brand here, and I've been really pleased with the ones I've had. Only had to replace one when I finally burned out the heating element after 12 years of marriage and fairly constant use -- I figure it earned it's rest. *g*

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Dang it -- "its rest." I swear, I am going to bed early this evening. When grammar begins to go, you know you need sleep. LOL

diablesseblu said...

Thanks Christy!

Just returned from Wal-Mart (feel guilty every time I shop there but there are few choices in this little hamlet). They had huge displays of Rivals in every incarnation. Will pop by there very early tomorrow AM and pick one up.

Am pretty certain I have a copy of Crockery Cookery among my books in the attic (mid 70s wedding gift). Crockpots were new then and were displacing fondue pots -- thank goodness. Am really dating myself, aren't I? ;-)

Molly said...

FWIW, I have a copy of a Cook's Illustrated "Soups & Stews" publication that includes a sidebar on slow cookers. Their tests highly recommended an All Clad stainless steel with ceramic insert ($199.95), and secondarily a Kitchenaid Stainless Steel model ($129.95) and Hamilton Beach Programmable with temperature probe ($62.99). Typical of the magazine, they're somewhat pricey.

The one thing they do recommend is a slow cooker with a minimum capacity of 6 quarts -- anything smaller and a 5 lb. roast won't fit. Indeed, I had to scale down the ingredients in a recent soup recipe because as written it wouldn't fit in my 5 qt. model.

Toni said...

I have Crockery Cookery also. It is taped together, the pages are yellowed and food-stained, and some of the most used pages are falling out. We love the Fruited Pork Chops on P. 140.

Kristi said...

I'm Molly's daughter she asked about this for me! Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I will have to do some looking at these books and blogs and see what my family of picky eaters can handle! : )

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Kristi -- I'd take a peek at the Crockery Cookery that your mom already has, as well as the "Not Your Mother's" books if you are looking for picky-eater friendly fare. I have better luck with my 7 year old (who is supremely picky) from those books -- and from the "Fix It And Forget It" series of crockpot books because the recipes are more basic and not so "spicy" as my daughter says. (Although we've also had recent success saying that Remy from Ratatouille suggested we get "fancy with the spices," which she thinks is funny and will be more likely to try a bite if we joke about that first.) HTH!

Anonymous said...

My neighbor and I have been just debating this particular topic, he's normally looking for to show me incorrect. Your view on this is nice and precisely how I actually feel. I simply now mailed him this site to indicate him your individual view. After wanting over your web site I e-book marked and might be coming back to read your new posts!