Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rain Delay

Winter is coming. 

Whether you like it or not, you can feel that shift in the air today as the rain drizzles its cold dankness onto everything, stripping the few leaf remnants from the trees.  There will be snow somewhere in the West Virginia hills tonight, I'm sure.

The dogs have been looking at me all morning as though being taken out to the lawn is a form of torture. 

Although if I were a very small, very old dachshund who'd been wakened from my cozy blanket nest in front of the heater to be forcibly marched out onto a dripping, shivery lawn while said human watched me do my business?  I probably would see it as some malevolent act rather than one from a person who wants to spare her carpet more grief.  Fortunately for PJ, the heater kicked back on again when we came inside, and she's snuggled back into the blanket nest she'll be hiding in for most of the winter.

It's good to be a dachshund.


Our westie puppy doesn't have the same old age and short fur excuse for disliking inclement weather on the lawn.  She's just prissy and doesn't like to get her paws dirty. 

I had planned to plant out a few more spring bulbs (that should have gone in the ground while we were in Arizona, but it couldn't be helped) and do some lawn clean-up today, but that is going to have to wait.

Perhaps the universe is giving me a hint...

(Lovely photo via Vainsang.  Just gorgeous color.)

No comments: