Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Have You Checked Your Boobies Lately?

Just a friendly reminder that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Have you checked your boobies lately?

I know there has been some controversy over mammograms and breast self-exams, but I can only tell you what I know from personal experience:  I've had two friends find breast cancer early enough to save their lives through mammograms.

My mother caught her teeny, tiny little tumor early by getting a mammogram as well -- and it was aggressive, so catching it early was a key factor in her good outcome.

I caught my pre-cancerous, fast-growing, golf ball sized lump doing a self-exam, and we got it removed early to be certain it would not metastisize while The Peanut was only 3 months old.  (Believe me, no one wants to have to come face to face with mortality just when six and a half years of fertility hell have finally ended in a miracle.  Worst.  Month.   Ever.)  Thank goodness we were breast feeding and I was way too familiar with how things felt when the lump just appeared out of nowhere to my touch.

So treat yourself well, do the ultimate in self-care:  check your boobies regularly.

That goes for you men out there, too -- don't think it's just us gals who have this issue.

While you are at it, click on the Breast Cancer Site and then click their "free mammogram" button to help raise funds for mammograms for folks who could use a hand to defray the costs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day!This was a really magnificentsuper Topics!
I come from milan, I was fortunate to approach your Topics in baidu
Also I obtain a lot in your theme really thanks very much i will come later