Sunday, June 27, 2010

Just Add Avocado

After years of being fat phobic, I discovered what nutrition science has confirmed: without certain good fats in my diet, my nails start to feel brittle along with my hair, and my skin gets really pasty.  Ugh.

And I just don't feel well overall without them.

So I've been making an effort to get good fats back into our diet on a regular, yet moderate, basis.

One that I love is the avocado.  With its monounsaturated fat and essential fatty acids, avocados help regulate cholesterol, raising the good stuff (HDL) while helping to lower the bad (LDL).   They are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for everything from gorgeous skin to heart health.

They also help with the absorption of other essential vitamins and nutrients, including lycopene from tomatoes which pair beautifully with avocados in just about anything.

Plus, they taste super on a sandwich or chopped as a gazpacho topping.  Who doesn't love that?


My favorite lately?  Slicing some avocado onto a standard breakfast sandwich that takes it from so-so to seriously tasty.   And it's really portable, so you can pack it to go with you to work if you are running late in the morning -- huge plus in my book.

Christy's Breakfast Avocado Muffinwich
2 slices Canadian bacon, chopped

cooking spray
2 lg. egg whites
1 lg. whole egg
1/2 tsp. skim milk
1/4 tsp. chopped chives
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 avocado, sliced thin
1 whole grain, high fiber English muffin, split and toasted
Spray nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat over med-high heat.  Add chopped Canadian bacon, and saute until warmed through.  Meanwhile, scramble eggs in a bowl with skim milk, chives, salt and pepper.  When bacon is warmed, pour egg into pan and cook through, allowing egg to set into a smallish circle that will fit on an English muffin.  (Don't worry about this, I just pile everything on the muffin and munch.)  Split English muffin and toast well.  Take eggs from pan, and pop on muffin half, then top with avocado and top with muffin half.  Easy and very tasty.

Sometimes, I add some hot sauce to the eggs before I cook for a little more zing.  Sometimes, I chop up a little tomato after I seed it and add it to the eggs, too.  Sometimes I just add sliced tomato to the sandwich, although that can get messy if you have a seedy tomato.  You can leave the Canadian bacon whole and round, as a slice on the sandwich if you like -- but I like mine warm and mixed in with the eggs because its just plain tasty.

Also, you can add a little fat free or reduced-fat cheese to the top of the eggs and melt it a bit before putting on the bun if you are so inclined.  I like sharp cheddar.

If I am out of English muffins, or if I need a less messy, more portable option, I'll make a wrap with a whole grain tortilla.  Really easy to pack and eat later.  Or, wrapped with a little waxed paper, you can eat it on the go and not get it all over yourself.  When I do this, I usually add some lettuce and tomato for extra fiber -- and because its tasty that way.

I've been trying to find new ways to work avocado into our diet, so I've compiled a few more recipe ideas.

-- Avocado Veggie Sandwich
-- Avocado And Tomato Salad
-- Avocado, Grapefruit And Papaya Salad
-- Grilled Shrimp, Mango And Avocado
-- Blackened Chicken And Grilled Avocado Salad
-- Avocado And Shrimp Sushi
-- Heirloom Tomato And Avocado Stack
-- Mexican-Style Falafel With Avocado Sauce
-- Avocado-Corn Salsa
-- Tangy Green Goddess Dressing
-- Creamy Avocado And White Bean Wrap
-- Avocado Tea Sandwiches
-- Raspberry, Avocado And Mango Salad
-- Beer-Battered Fish Tacos With Tomato-Avocado Salsa
-- Cobb Salad

(Gorgeous photo via Andrea.Pacheco.)

2 comments:

Phil said...

CHRISTY!!!!
Big hugz and smooches.

I saw Suzanne today and she told me you had a new blog and was kind enough to send me the link.
Good to see your still at it and I hear Peanut is already seven years old!!
Man, I'm getting old.
You take care and I'll drop by once in a while if you don't mind.

Busted

Christy Hardin Smith said...

Busted! Hey there -- good to see you. Please, drop by any time. :)